What you regularly choose for breakfast could influence a lot of things. If you’re on a mission to lose a few pounds, look to these recipes for help. They’re all high in protein, fiber, and other essential nutrients that will keep you satisfied and on course.
1. Quinoa Egg Bake With Thyme and Garlic
Bake up this quinoa egg casserole on Sunday night, and cut a slice the following morning for a gluten-free breakfast that will keep you on track all week long. In addition to getting plenty of protein and fiber, you’ll up your iron and calcium intake while enjoying this dish.
1 teaspoon butter or butter substitute
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/4 cup nonfat milk
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 cup finely shredded romano or parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-by-8-inch glass or metal baking dish with butter; set aside.
- Put quinoa into a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water until water runs clear; drain well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and quinoa. Stir in spinach, then pour mixture into prepared dish.
- Cover tightly with foil then jiggle dish gently from side to side so that quinoa settles on the bottom in an even layer. Bake until just set, about 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle top evenly with cheese. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, until golden brown and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Set aside to let cool briefly, then slice and serve.