8. Fruit and Nut Breakfast Cookies
I can hear my mother now, telling me, “you can’t eat cookies for breakfast.” But even my mother would approve of these healthy breakfast cookies; they have dried fruit, nuts, and whole grains, and are sweetened with honey. You probably already have many of the ingredients in your pantry.
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chopped nuts, such as walnuts, almonds or pecans
1/4 cup dried fruit, such as raisins or cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat egg lightly, and add applesauce, honey, peanut butter, and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, salt, and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in the nuts and dried fruit.
- Grease cookie sheet with butter. With a spoon, drop batter onto the cookie sheet and flatten slightly. Bake for 8 – 9 minutes. Makes about 20 cookies.
- Make a batch or two and store in a freezer bag in the freezer.