2. Sweet Potato Cake Doughnuts
These crunchy cake doughnuts come together in a snap and are so delicious. Roast a couple of extra sweet potatoes the night before you want to make the doughnuts, and the dough will come together quicker than a bowl of cereal.
For the doughnuts
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sweet potato puree (recipe follows)
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray three 6-count doughnut pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, sweet potato puree, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla until smooth. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry until just incorporated. Transfer the batter to a piping bag or plastic zip-top bag, snip ½ inch from the pointed end or bottom corner of the bag, and pipe the batter into the pan.
- Bake until golden, puffed, and a toothpick inserted into a doughnut comes out clean, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the doughnuts to a rack to cool. Dust with confectioners’ sugar or drizzle with orange glaze. Serve warm.