2. Replace Carbs with Vegetables
Lighten carbs with low-cal veggies. If you love cheesy mashed potatoes but not all the calories they deliver, replace some of the potatoes with vegetables, such as broccoli You’ll get fewer calories and more disease-fighting antioxidants. (Another twist on this trick: replace some of your pasta with veggies.)
Cheesy Broccoli-Potato Mash
Add some color to your mashed potatoes by adding some broccoli to the mix. We love the flavor of fontina cheese paired with broccoli, but any creamy cheese that melts well will work.
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into wedges
- ¾ pound broccoli crowns, chopped (4 cups)
- ¾ cup shredded fontina cheese
- ½ cup nonfat milk, heated
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add potatoes, cover and steam for 10 minutes. Place broccoli on top, cover and steam until the potatoes and broccoli are tender, 6 to 8 minutes more.
- Transfer the broccoli to a large bowl and coarsely mash with a potato masher. Add the potatoes, cheese, milk, salt and pepper and continue mashing to desired consistency. Serve immediately.