7 Foods you’ll never Eat Again After you know the Ingredients, According to Experts

Food

Canned mushrooms

Canned mushrooms? More like a can of worms…or maggots. FDA guidelines are meant to keep food safe, but they do allow traces of some pretty nasty stuff. Maggots and mites are particularly drawn to mushrooms, it seems, leading the FDA to rule on just how large a portion of these creepy creatures can be served up with canned or dried mushrooms.

The FDA is totally cool with maggots in your canned mushrooms, so long as they don’t exceed “an average of 20 or more maggots of any size per 100 g of drained mushrooms and the proportionate liquid…” To give you a sense of what that means, one cup of canned mushrooms is the equivalent 156 g, meaning that 30 or more maggots might be in every cup of canned mushrooms! Mites can be present in even larger numbers, not to exceed “an average of 75 or more mites per 100 g of drained mushrooms and the proportionate liquid…”

Believe it or not, it gets even nastier; up to 10 percent of those mushrooms can be decomposed. Yuck.

Leave a Reply